Welcome!


Hello and welcome to Fishing with Billy! I am a high school student and a fishing fanatic. This blog was made as part of a project in my Web Design class. I will be posting about fishing frequently throughout the next month or so. Enjoy!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Bluegill

The most common fish in most ponds, rivers and lakes east of the Rocky Mountains is the bluegill. This is a species of freswhwater fish that is a member of the sunfish family Centrarchidae. There are many names for the bluegill, such as bream, brim, sunfish, and sunperch. Bluegill are identified by three major physical characteristics. The first is the black or dark blue dot on the outer part of its gill flap. The next are the spikes on each tip of its dorsal fin. Lastly, bluegills usually have a orange or yellow underbelly. Bluegill are small fish, ranging from four to 12 inches in length. However, they counter this size by swimming in schools of 10 or 20. They live in mostly all bodies of water. To be more specific, they live near weedbeds and fallen logs.

Bluegills are considered a beginner fish. When I first started out fishing, these were the fish that I went after. I did this because they are plentiful and easy to catch. The technique for catching bluegill is also easy. Put any type of food or worms on your hook and put a bobber on your line, about six inches (or more depending on the depth of the body of water you are fishing in) above your hook. Bluegill do not give up much of a fight either. For me, I hardly go after bluegill anymore. I use lures, jigs, and other baits more often now because of my desire to catch bigger fish. However, whenever I have had a poor day of fishing I may take out my old bobbers and catch some bluegill to cheer me up. So if you are a beginner fisherman or want to begin fishing, bluegill are the fish you would want to target.

1 comment:

  1. That's really cool, sounds like a slow fish. I've never been fishing before so if I ever do I'll be sure to try to catch that one. It's cool that you enjoy fishing so much and I never really thought about the different types of fish you can catch and how they all have different personalities.

    ReplyDelete