Welcome!


Hello and welcome to Fishing with Billy! I am a high school student and a fishing fanatic. This blog was made as part of a project in my Web Design class. I will be posting about fishing frequently throughout the next month or so. Enjoy!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Largemouth Bass

Another common fish in the United States and my personal favorite to catch is the the Largemouth Bass. They are found in many ponds and lakes in the Northeast, but are even more plentiful down in the South. Some of the many great largemouth bass fishing states are Florida, Alabama and Texas. These states also have some of the biggest largemouth bass due to the climate. Largemouth bass are olive-green in color and have a series of dark blotches that form a stripe down the flank, on each side of the fish. They also have a very large mouth, which many people would assume because of its name. Largemouth bass normally live around the places in a pond or lake that have a lot of weeds, sticks, brush, lily pads or fallen trees. They enjoy staying around the shores of a pond or lake rather than out in the open, in most circumstances.

Largemouth bass go after a variety of jigs, lures, and other baits. These include, topwater frog lures, crankbaits, swimbaits, lizard lures, crawfish lures, and live bait. I prefer lizard and topwater frog lures, however all of the others work great too. I have just started to use crankbaits because I heard they are also great for bass fishing. What types of lures do you use for largemouth bass fishing?

There are many reasons that fisherman love to go after largermouth bass. The most exciting for me is that they frequently jump out of the water after they become hooked on your line. When this occurs, a fisherman's adrenaline begins pumping even harder because they then see the size of the fish they are reeling in. Largemouth bass also put up a good fight, which adds to the fun of catching one. The best experience I have had catching a largemouth bass was last summer at one of my favorite fishing spots, Farm Pond. My friend and I went out in my canoe all the way around the shore. We had not had a particularly good day of fishing from that point on, I had only caught one small perch. We parked the canoe on a fallen log and began to cast into a small cove in between the shore and some small bushes. I immediately got a hit and set the hook, the bass jumped into the air and I could see that it was big. But an unexpected event occurred. The bass went straight into the bushes and got itself stuck. I proceeded to get out of the boat and get the fish out of the bushes. It was 16 inches, two and a half pounds. This is my biggest largemouth bass that I have caught. These fish are great for catching and I reccomend doing that to any beginner fisherman wanting to take a step up in their fishing skills.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Billy! Impressive blog! I had no idea how much thought went into catching a simple fish. It really is an intricate art! As an acclaimed Boy Scout, do you feel that your devotion to Scouthood helped you develop your love for fishing? I really didn't know how incredible a fisherman you were until I started reading "Fishing with Billy." You really have got me hooked on your blog!!! Get it? Keep up the awesome work - I look forward to seeing you as a guest star on Charlie Moore's "Mad Fisherman" coming up! Good luck in your future fishing endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, Billy! This is my new favorite blog ever!

    Your story about fishing at Farm Pond was such an exciting read. My heart was pounding so hard I thought Roberto, who is sitting next to me, could hear it!!!

    I have some questions about largemouth bass. Do they bite? Can they smell blood from miles away?
    I want to fish someday but I am very afraid that a fish might pull me under the water and eat me alive. Afterall, it is called a LARGEMOUTH bass.

    Again, what a superb post and a simply amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -I have a question too... How do largemouth bass taste? How are they prepared, and cooked?
    -On a side note, I have never been a good fisherman in general, I never seem to catch anything, so I have stopped trying. Mabye it's the location of which I have fished? How do you pick a good place and time to fish. Does the weather or depth of which you fish have an impact on the chances of you catching a fish (or better yet a big fish like a largemouth bass)?
    - I used to fish at a rocky beach on a dock on martha's vineyard, I would not go too far and it was usually high tide and the water would be very wavey (i know it's not a word lol). Also, for some reason every day I would fish it would be a cloudy or rainy afternoon I would go out. Do you think these conditions are the reason I didn't catch any fish?

    ReplyDelete